Friday 15 June 2012

Review:The Hunger Games ~ Suzanne Collins



In the ruins of a place once known as North America lies the nation of Panem, a shining Capitol surrounded by twelve outlying districts. The Capitol is harsh and cruel and keeps the districts in line by forcing them all to send one boy and one girl between the ages of twelve and eighteen to participate in the annual Hunger Games, a fight to the death on live TV.

Sixteen-year-old Katniss Everdeen, who lives alone with her mother and younger sister, regards it as a death sentence when she steps forward to take her sister’s place in the Games. But Katniss has been close to dead before—and survival, for her, is second nature. Without really meaning to, she becomes a contender. But if she is to win, she will have to start making choices that will weigh survival against humanity and life against love.

A little late but better than never, this series has actually been on my list for a long time now- but I never thought I would enjoy or understand what this book was about, it did seem complicated and not really something I would enjoy even with all the kids killing. 

The whole plot and the world that Collins created was something I have never ever seen and I still can’t figure out how she came up with it, it was so original and nothing like anyone has ever done before. It was really mesmerising. I was told that this book was good but I had no idea it was THIS good… Oh My God was it good (you were right Jana)

From the very start I couldn’t help but bond with the characters, they seemed so real. And there they were trying to get by and hope that they get to live for another day; it was impossible not to feel a connection to them as they are just normal people having to face not only hunger but this freaking game of death every year!

When I began reading the book all the little fears I had disappeared as soon as they came, the story was so well described and it was really easy to get stuck in, I truly didn’t feel lost at all during this book which did surprise me and I’m not the sharpest of people and I thought it would take me forever to get what the book was talking about. 

I think I fell in love with Katniss Everdeen from the first few chapters. She was a heroine that had her whole world turned upside down, having to be the parent and look after her younger sister but the best thing about her was that she wasn’t stuck up her own arse. She went into the game because she had to save her sister. She never thought for sure that she will kick everyone butts and win this thing, she was confident but still knew that there would be people that were going to be a lot more better than her. 

I thought this book was going to be about the kids killing each other nonstop but there was also romance in the air, I didn’t particularly like their little relationship just because Peeta is the sweetest guy ever and he is truly madly in love with Katniss spilling his heart out for her and she doesn’t even know that he really feels like this. It was heart breaking reading the last chapter if I cried at cute stuff like this I would have cried buckets!

There is one thing that I really didn’t like and that’s when they were still in the arena I could not for the life of me grasp the end of the day and start of the night and visa versa. That was the only confusing thing that was in the book I think otherwise there is not a thing left to say but I hate myself for not reading this book sooner!!
I made myself a massive promise however that I am not to watch the movie until I was done with this book and it was really hard to keep! It was SO tempting every time something massive happened I would just say “woah I can’t wait to see this in the movie” I really hope my favourite parts are in the film. 


BITTEN~ It is most definitely kissed and then bitten and then kissed again!! It was that good! AH I think I'm in love~ 

1 comment:

  1. Hi there! I'm a fairly new follower--I've been following for about a month now. :) I'm so glad you read and enjoyed The Hunger Games. Katniss totally kicks butt! She has a good heart, she's strong, and she made sure to take care of her family and helped Peeta out in the arena. My daughter (she's 9) is finishing up Mockingjay, and Katniss is her heroine! She's dressing up like her for Halloween. :D

    ReplyDelete